INEC accuses Gov Bello of double registration

The Independent National Electoral Commission (NAN) has accused Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello of double registration for Permanent Voter Card, as against the electoral law.

A statement by INEC’s National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee (IVEC), Prince Solomon Soyebi, said Bello’s second registration was done on Tuesday at the Government House in Lokoja, outside the designated centre for ongoing nationwide Continuous Voter Registration (CVR).

The statement reads; “It has come to the attention of INEC that Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello registered as a voter for the second time on Tuesday May 23, at the Government House in Lokoja.

“His first registration was on January 30, 2011, in Wuse Zone 4, Abuja. The governor’s double registration, and doing so outside lNEC’s designated centres, are both illegal.

”For the Continuous Voter Registration (CVR), INEC has designated a centre in each of the country’s 774 local governments areas, including FCT’s six Area Councils.”

“We wish clarify that no INEC worker was authorised to re-register Bello or any citizen, or to do so outside our designated registration centres. The commission, therefore, dissociates itself from the governor’s action, and promises to take disciplinary action against the staff who conducted Bello’s second registration.

“As for the governor, Section 308 (l) (a) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), precludes lNEC from prosecuting him while in office. However, the commission has cancelled his second and illegal registration forthwith.”

It added that Bello’s second registration will be cancelled as the Electoral Law and the commission’s guidelines make no exception for anyone to register more than once, and to do so outside designated centres.

Source: thenationonlineng.net

Medical Follow-up: Senate receives Buhari’s letter – Tribune

The Senate on Tuesday confirmed receipt of President Muhammadu Buhari’s letter informing of his trip to the United Kingdom on a “medical follow-up’’.

President of the Senate, Dr Bukola Saraki, read the letter, dated May 5, 2017, at plenary and announced that its transmission to the senate was in accordance with Section 145(1) of the 1999 Constitution.

Read more:

http://tribuneonlineng.com/medical-follow-senate-receives-buharis-letter/

More Chibok girls to be released soon 


The Senator representing Kaduna Central senatorial district at the National Assembly, Shehu Sani, has revealed that efforts are being intensified to ensure that the remaining abducted school girls from Chibok, Borno state are released soon.

He spoke to journalists at the sideline of the 2017 Nigeria International Book Fair which he chaired its opening ceremony on Tuesday.

Read more:

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/more-chibok-girls-to-be-released-soon-shehu-sani/196968.html

Parents to identify Chibok girls with pictures – Tribune


THE photographs of newly freed 82 Chibok schoolgirls have been snapped and given to their community leaders to pass on to parents for the purpose of identifying their children, the Tribune Online has learnt.

It was gathered that Presidency took the decision to adopt this option of photographing them in order to avoid the chaotic experience that followed the release of 21 of the school girls in October last year where several parents claimed individual girls as their own because of similarity in their names.

Read more: 

http://tribuneonlineng.com/boko-haram-took-good-care-released-girls-presidency/

8 killed in suspected herdsmen attack on Benue villages 


Gunmen believed to be nomadic Fulani herdsmen killed eight people in central Nigeria, police said Tuesday, in the latest violence over grazing and land rights.

The attack on two farming villages in the Logo local government area of Benue state happened overnight Sunday to Monday, state police commissioner Bashir Makama told AFP.

Read more:

https://m.guardian.ng/news/8-killed-in-suspected-herdsmen-attack-on-benue-villages/

Reuters: Some abducted Chibok schoolgirls refuse to be ‘freed’, says negotiator | Reuters


ABUJA (Thomson Reuters Foundation) – Some of the Chibok schoolgirls abducted three years ago by Islamist Boko Haram militants refused to be part of a group of 82 girls freed at the weekend, a mediator involved in the release said on Monday.

The militants on Saturday released 82 schoolgirls out of the more than 200 they kidnapped in April 2014 from northeast Nigeria in exchange for prisoners.

Yet mediator and lawyer Zannah Mustapha said some of the abducted girls had refused to go home, fuelling fears that they have been radicalized by the jihadists, and may feel afraid, ashamed or even too powerful to return to their old lives.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN1841X4