Tag: health

Unqualified nurse killed Senator Adeleke – Coroner

The Coroner Inquest set by Osun State government to unravel the cause of the death of late Senator Isiaka Adeleke gave its verdict on Tuesday in which it ruled that the unqualified nurse, Alfred Aderibigbe who injected the late politician murdered him.

The Coroner, Olusegun Ayilara while delivering his ruling in Osogbo said the deceased was treated by the nurse who administered some drugs on him intravenously without a doctor’s prescription.

The coroner advised the Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP) to look further into the case file of Aderibigbe to determine the appropriate charge to press against him, if any.

The Coroner also recommended that the qualification of Alfred Aderibigbe be further investigated by the police to determine his eligibility to perform the role of medical practitioner.

He added that the Government should sensitize people on the dangers of taking drugs without doctor’s prescription.

Source: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/unqualified-nurse-killed-senator-adeleke-coroner/199839.html

Woman farts during surgery, causing laser to catch fire


It is a fact not as universally known as it should that farts are flammable. Although, those who have seen the 1994 comedy Dumb and Dumber will definitely remember Jim Carrey’s fart scene. But as hilarious as that sequence was, things didn’t turn out as pretty for this woman at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital.

The patient, who was undergoing surgery which involved a laser being applied to her cervix, passed gas during the operation and ended up being badly burned. According to a hospital report, the unfortunately timed fart ignited the laser being used for the surgery. The woman, in her 30s, was left screaming in pain after the fire apparently burnt massive chunks of her body, including the waist and legs. The surgery was apparently being held in the Shinjuku Ward of the hospital, according to a report by Japanese newspaper The Asahi Shimbun.

The bizarre incident came to light in a report by external experts that was released on October 28, say agency reports. The incident itself apparently happened on April 15, 2016. The committee report clarifies that no flammable materials were used in the operation during the surgery and that every other equipment was functioning properly, thus eliminating any possibility of a gas leak from elsewhere that could have cause the fire.

“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire,” said the report, which only recently came to light. According to an Australian news report, the Tokyo Medical University Hospital holds the distinction of being the only facility in Japan to do surgery using robots.

Source: indianexpress.com