An Islamic State car bomb that targeted families eating ice-cream after breaking their Ramadan fast has killed at least 13 people and wounded 40 more in southern Baghdad.
The blast outside a popular shop in the Karrada district of the Iraqi capital was followed by another attack outside an office where people collect their government pensions.
Isis quickly claimed responsibility for the first attack on Monday night, which Iraqi officials said appeared to involve remotely detonated explosives inside a parked car.
However, there was no immediate claim of responsibility for the second blast, on Tuesday, which took the death toll to 27 – the highest in Baghdad for several months.
The attacks will exacerbate fears that Isis will use Ramadan to intensify its campaign against civilians as it continues to lose ground to Iraqi forces in Mosul.
Manchester Victoria railway station has reopened more than a week after the suicide attack at the city’s arena.
The station, attached to Manchester Arena, was shut after the bombing at the Ariana Grande concert, which left 22 people dead and dozens injured.
More CCTV footage of bomber Salman Abedi has been released and police are appealing for people who might have seen him carrying a blue suitcase.
Forensic teams have also been seen searching a landfill site in Bury.
The Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police, Ian Hopkins, told the BBC on Tuesday that Abedi had been known to the force for “relatively minor matters” – but not for extremist views.
ABUJA (Thomson Reuters Foundation) – Some of the Chibok schoolgirls abducted three years ago by Islamist Boko Haram militants refused to be part of a group of 82 girls freed at the weekend, a mediator involved in the release said on Monday.
The militants on Saturday released 82 schoolgirls out of the more than 200 they kidnapped in April 2014 from northeast Nigeria in exchange for prisoners.
Yet mediator and lawyer Zannah Mustapha said some of the abducted girls had refused to go home, fuelling fears that they have been radicalized by the jihadists, and may feel afraid, ashamed or even too powerful to return to their old lives.
The head of Islamic State in Afghanistan, Abdul Hasib, has been killed by Afghan and US special forces in the eastern province of Nangarhar, according to officials.
Hasib, appointed last year after his predecessor Hafiz Saeed Khan died in a US drone strike, is believed to have ordered a series of high profile attacks including one on 8 March on the main military hospital in Kabul, a statement said.
Last month, a Pentagon spokesman said Hasib had probably been killed during the raid on 27 April by US and Afghan special forces in Nangarhar during which two US army Rangers were killed. But prior to Sunday’s announcement there had been no confirmation.
The six-year-old son of Australian terrorist Khaled Sharrouf is being used in more ISIS propaganda as his father fights in the Middle East.
A photo shows the notorious jihadist’s youngest son Humzeh posing with a sign attached to the body of a man strung up on a cross with cable ties.
The sign, which the boy is pointing to, reads: ‘The Crime: Collaborating with Christians. The Punishment: Execution.’
Source: Daily Mail
The gunman who shot dead a policeman in Paris on Thursday has been identified from papers left in his car, but French officials are yet to release his name.
Local media say the 39-year-old lived in the city’s suburbs, and had been seen as a potential Islamist radical.
The gunman also wounded two police officers before he was killed by security forces on the Champs-Elysees.
President François Hollande is to chair a security cabinet meeting, as France readies for Sunday’s presidential poll.
Mr Hollande said he was convinced the attack was “terrorist-related”, adding that the security forces had the full support of the nation and a national tribute would be paid to the fallen policeman.
So-called Islamic State (IS) said one of its “fighters” had carried out the attack.